Friday, September 23, 2011

Healthy Hour Tacos



As I was shopping at Trader Joe's last night I saw taco seasoning on sale for only $.79 a packet and got excited. At the time, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it. Friday night came around and I got inspired by the few ingredients in my fridge.

Start out by crumbling and seasoning the tempeh in
  • 2 T organic tomato paste
  • 1 packet taco seasoning 
  • 4 T olive oil 
  • 1 tsp. maple syrup
in a medium sized bowl. After mixed well, throw the tempeh on a nonstick pan on low heat like so:


Make sure you lay it out on the pan so it cooks evenly. I put it on low heat so you have time to chop and set everything else up. Now chop up all your favorite taco additions while the "meat" cooks. I added:
  • fresh crisp romaine lettuce
  • avocado
  • halved baby tomatos 
  • Daiya Cheese 
If using tortillas, wrap and heat them in the oven at 200* for 5 minutes.  If using romaine, rinse and dry your lettuce leaves. Lay them out on a plate for topping later. If you like your cheese melted, place your tortillas under the broiler on foil for a minute. The cheese will melt and the tortilla will be heated.  

After you finish setting up your taco line for piling on the goods, turn your heat up to high and toss your "meat" until browned, but not too crispy. If cooked too long it will get hard, so taste your food!

When your meat is done, assemble your tacos and enjoy! 




No comments:

Post a Comment