Friday, September 23, 2011

Maple Roasted Radishes


What the heck do you do with radishes? When I got them in my CSA (community supported agriculture) box, I just threw them in my fridge's bottom drawer and had faith an idea would come to me. A week and a half later they were still there ready to commit suicide. Those poor sad radishes. So I gave them a reason to live today...to be roasted.

Roasted radishes? How can that taste good? Aren't radishes bitter and weird? Yes, when they're raw they can have a bite to them. But after roasting in a sweet and savory sauce, they almost taste like potatoes. Don't believe me? Try it next time you're stuck with a bunch.

What You Need 
  • 5 red radishes
  • 1 T Maple syrup 
  • 1 T Olive Oil 
  • S+P 
What to do 
Preheat your oven to 400*F 

Line a small baking sheet (I had a mini one about 5X8'') with enough foil to fold up on the sides about 3 inches. 

Place maple syrup, olive oil, and a few grinds of black pepper and sea salt onto the foil. Spread it around with your fingers, or move the foil around so the bottom is coated. I just tilted my pan side to side and the sauce spread itself out. 

Dice up your radishes, being careful to cut off the greens on the ends. Toss the radishes in the foil until all are coated like so: 


Create a seam in the foil by folding the sides up and pinching together. Bake for 10 minutes.

Take out, unseam the foil, and cook for 10 more minutes, being sure to keep the foil folded up on all sides to prevent the yummy liquids from spilling out. Important: This will keep them moist! 

When done, the radishes should be soft like a baked potato. Pour everything into a shallow bowl and top with extra margarine or agave if you'd really like to sweeten the deal. I put a dollop of Earth Balance and drizzled agave on mine for a pretty effect. :) 

So now you know: Radishes aren't a dunce. They can be yummy too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment