Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Banana Quinoa Breakfast

Tired of oatmeal and cereal for breakfast? Try this recipe for an interesting twist on porridge. If you're like me, you always make extra quinoa to have on hand. It's an easy ingredient to add onto any meal, from dinner to a lunch salad. Now it can star on it's own platform. 


Imagine a breakfast that you fall in love with over and over again. I have been making this since I found out about quinoa. The great thing about this meal is that you can use whatever fruit you have on hand. The reason why I'm posting about bananas is because I have found the texture matches perfectly along with the quinoa. You can smash the bananas in to make it extra sweet, or you can just slice them up and stir them in like I have here. Other variations include adding in raisins, roasted walnuts, or fresh berries. Imagine...Get Creative!

What You Need
Equal parts of:
cooked quinoa
non-dairy milk- unsweetened soy milk
I used one cup of each
agave nectar (to taste)-I used three tablespoons
sprinkle of sea salt

What You Do 
Heat milk and agave in a medium sized pot on medium-high until simmering. Add in quinoa and cook until most of the liquid is dissolved. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent agave from burning.

Pour into a bowl and place in your slices of bananas, or fresh fruit on hand. Stir in bananas, drizzle with agave, and sprinkle on some cinnamon.

Clean-up Tip: Place hot water and soap immediately in the pot when done to prevent the quinoa and sugar from sticking. 

Creative note [10/5/11] Today I added superfruit jam into my leftover porridge from yesterday. It turned the whole bowl a pretty purple and tastes amazing! No fresh fruit? Use Jam! 

Simple. Healthy. Delicious

No comments:

Post a Comment