Monday, October 24, 2011

Super Moist Pumpkin Bread and Pumpkin Cream Cheez





Trader Joe's samples can provide the greatest of inspiration. Everybody is circling around the snack table like vultures, guiltily going back for seconds with a sly smile on their face as they say thank you. Shopping naturally makes you hungry and it doesn't help to have the smell of warm coffee and dinner lurking around your cart. 

My last trip to TJ's resulted in a snack bar sample of their boxed pumpkin bread. They topped it with their very own dairy-full pumpkin cream cheese. Mr.Organnix loved it and had me go back for a second plate, even if I was only eating the strawberries on the side. He asked me if I could make pumpkin bread and why don't I buy the box. I told him I would make it from scratch because it's only flour and sugar in there anyway. 

So that night I pulled out my can of pumpkin, flours, and not-so-secret ingredient to make it super moist: coconut cream! I totally made this recipe up, and hoped to goodness sake it would come out moist and yummy. Well would I be posting it if it didn't? =D

I'm so proud of this pumpkin bread and cream cheese. I used my imagination and mad-scientist mind and everything came out great. Is that luck? Or am I actually starting to learn how to cook? 

Well here is the recipe. Don't hate me if you want to make it everyday. It's great for dessert and breakfast. Don't you love multi-use dishes? I do! 

Makes 1 8X8 pan 
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 Minutes
Steam: 10 minutes

What You Need
For Bread
1 C all purpose flour 
1/2 C stone ground whole wheat flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
3/4 C granulated sugar
Pinch of cinnamon 
Pinch of pumpkin pie spice

2 T molasses
1 T coconut cream
1/4 C canola oil 
1/4 C vanilla coconut milk, boxed(not the canned kind)
1 C pumpkin puree


For cream cheese
5 T soy cream cheese
2 T Earth Balance
3 T agave nectar
6 T pumpkin puree (the rest of the can)
1 tsp fresh orange juice



What You Do 
  • Heat oven to 350* and grease 8X8'' pan. 
  • In a medium sized bowl mix flours, baking powder, salt, sugar, and spices.
  • In a small bowl, mix together molasses, coconut cream, oil, milk, and pumpkin.
  • Fold wet ingredients into dry until incorporated. 
  • Cook for 50 minutes, or until knife comes out clean. 
  • Take out and cover with foil. Let steam for ten minutes. *This will make it super moist* 
  • Enjoy with cream cheese! 
For cream cheese
  • Cream the earth balance and cream cheese together with a fork. 
  • Slowly add in agave and pumpkin, continuing to cream with the fork. 
  • Dash in the orange juice and mix all together.
  • Enjoy on pumpkin bread, pancakes, and bagels. Yum! 








No comments:

Post a Comment