Monday, November 7, 2011

Experimenting with Fillo Dough

I decided to pick up some fillo dough on a whim because I thought it would be fun to play around with. I was thinking of making mini fruit tarts with a fillo cup crust, but then realized I didn't have tartlettes to form a pretty bowl. Mr. Organnix suggested I use a savory filling and I followed his advice. (He's always right!) I made this Gimme Lean sausage, white mushroom, and green onion filling to go inside the dough. It was so delicious that I ate a few spoonfuls before I even put it in the pastry. 
I microwaved a few tablespoons of Organic Earth Balance to brush onto the dough. I didn't have a pastry brush so I just used my fingers. I laid out layer by layer and brushed it with the "butter" and then put the filling in the middle. I topped it with a handful of Daiya Chedder cheese and closed it up. I folded up the corners to make the shape below. You can make any shape you want, but this is great for a sandwich. 



After cooking it for about 15 minutes at 375*, it came out looking like this and it tasted...
Delicious! 



I gave half to Mr. Organnix and ate the other half. It was so yummy. I'm definitely making it again and adding it to my deli menu. :) 
Next I made a bluberry-cream cheese filling for a fillo dessert. I defrosted a frozen bag of blueberries in the microwave for 15 seconds. I dumped 1/2 cup of blueberries in the vitamix with half a container of soy cream cheese. I added 1/2 cup of powdered sugar to make a delicious pie-like filling. 

I made this shape in a cupcake pan. I was attempting to make the cuplette, but just folded up the edges and twirled them together. I thought it was pretty. What do you think?



This one I figured out how to make the cup-like shape by folding it into a square first, then carefully stuffing it into the cupcake pan. 


I decided I still wanted to cover it like a mini pie so I cut a mini square and place it on top. Of course, every single layer I used, I brushed with earth balance...using my fingers. :) 

The sandwich was easy and amazingly tasty. It looks super pretty and would satisfy anyone who loves sandwiches. I really have to thank the Mr. for this one because I didn't think about making anything savory with the fillo dough until he mentioned it. The blueberry pie cups were super easy too. The hardest part was not letting the dough dry out (cover with foil or waxed paper when working with it) and not tearing the sheets. I tore a few and had to crumble them up, or use parts of them like I did for the last mini pie. 

If you find yourself with leftover fillo dough, you can wrap it back up and put it in the fridge for a week until you decide what masterpiece you will create next. The end of my roll is waiting to be turned into something delicious. I'm thinking of making a stuffing and wrapping it up in the dough like a little savory coin purse. What would you make with this versatile dough?

11/9/11 Edit: Fillo Factory tweeted me to teach me that fillo dough is not the same as puff pastry. I had to change the title and a few words to fillo instead. They look the same and are both are to work with, but are very different! Lesson Learned. 




No comments:

Post a Comment