Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Giving Thanks


To live a pure unselfish life, one must count nothing as one's own in the midst of abundance.-Buddah 


It is that time of year where we go out shopping, buying, giving, and hoarding. We feast, we fatten, we revel in our new gifts. Sometimes we forget that billions of others don't have what we afford ourselves. This holiday isn't solely about stuffing our faces and emptying our wallets; it's about being with the people we love. It's about taking a day off from our daily regimen to drive or fly to our dearest family and have a memorable time. 



I'm giving thanks to the world for putting me in a place where I can wear short-sleeve shirts, be a head of a household, and show my belly button if I please. I'm giving thanks to my brother and sisters for being my loving siblings, and always there for hugs if I need one. Thanks guys. My dad always taught me to be grateful for having a roof over my head, a shirt on my back (in this case a warm sweater), and food in my belly...and I will always hold that as the highest importance in life. No matter what happens, as long as I have those three things, I will be appreciative of life. And I can't forget to thank my mom, for carrying me around 9 months in her belly, no matter how hard I kicked her to get out. Last, but certainly not least, I must thank Mr.Organnix, my boyfriend. Thank you for dealing with my daily whining, napping, complaining, and veganisms. I know I can be a pain in the apple, but you know I love you with all my heart. Thanks for staying in California and experiencing a Tofurky day with me. :) 


What am I doing this year to be unselfish? Donating food, and possibly some funds, to the local food bank.  Two years ago I packed apples and oranges into bags to hand out to the local homeless. This year I'll go on a shopping trip and donate shelf-stable products to those who need them most. What are you doing to show how thankful you are for a full belly? 


Speaking of full bellies, I'm cooking today. I've promised to bring my special pumpkin pie  along with some delicious cookies. I'm going to make half a batch of chocolate chip-peanut butter balls, and half a batch of oreo-chocolate-chip cookies. Mr. Organnix has raved about how his old friend in college used to make some oreo stuffed chocolate chip cookies, and I always assumed, "Wow, that sounds unhealthy!" But if any day of the year I would agree to attempt those, today would be it.


I have also bought the ingredients for tomorrows sweet potato mash, topped with Ricemellow cream (vegan marshmallows). Days after Thanksgiving, I'm always wondering why I don't cook these delicious dishes more often during the year. Besides not having the seasonal ingredients, like pumpkin and Tofurky, I figure they are too many calories for a daily dish. So to soothe my, "I want moreeee" feeling, I bought a tofurky, fake bacon, potatoes, and stuffing ingredients to make for the following week...just incase there aren't enough vegan leftovers from tomorrow.

I'll be sure to post a photo blog of all the fun I have with the family. I'm looking forward to seeing them!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! 



No comments:

Post a Comment