Tuesday, October 11, 2011

3 Ingredient Vegan Caramel



After making this recipe for the third time, I was convinced I must bottle it and sell it immediately. I was going to post that there is nothing like it on the market and not give you the recipe...but that is no longer true. Since the first time I've made it, someone has beat me to the punch. I may have very well gone through with a production line if nobody had done it, but of course the world is always one step ahead. Our friends at FreshFoods have it here if you're really too lazy to make this super easy recipe, but the ingredients aren't posted so I'm not sure what's in it. And it's not sold at Whole Foods or any other health food store in a 15 mile radius from me. Best bet? Make my recipe!

It can be used in your favorite coffee drinks, top any of your favorite pies, or even just be warmed up for your freshly cut apples. This caramel is the shit (I never curse) and your life will never be the same after making it.

Do you ever go to Starbucks and want a caramel macchiato but you can't have the caramel sauce because it's made with cream and milk? Now you can do it at home! Save some bucks and use this sauce in your homemade macchiato (recipe coming soon).

What You Need
Equal parts of:
Earth Balance
Soy milk (or any unsweetened non-dairy milk)
Agave Nectar

Sauce pan

What You Do 

  • Place earth balance and milk into sauce pan on medium-low heat. 
  • Whisk until all the Earth Balance is melted into the milk.
  • Add agave nectar and whisk in. 
  • Keep stirring for 20-30 minutes on medium heat.
  • Your sauce will start to bubble up on the sides and almost get a little foamy in the middle. This is good!
  • Make sure to scrape the sides of the pot with your whisk as you go around. 
  • You can stir slowly or stop for a few minutes if you get tired, just make sure it doesn't bubble over. 
  • After 20-30 minutes, take the caramel off the heat. 
  • Place into a heat-safe airtight container. Do NOT use plastic. I use glass.
  • Refrigerate!
  • Your done!
Use warm as caramel sauce on ice creams, pies, cookies, brownies. Or like me just eat it with a spoon. I even put it on oatmeal! 

If you want caramel candies, use a non-plastic mold, cupcake liners, or anything that has the shape you want, and freeze. I placed some of mine in a cupcake liner, froze it for about ten minutes so it was pliable, and then placed it into a small sheet of plastic wrap. Twist the ends and you've got a soft caramel candy. Refrigerate to keep it's shape.

I used 1/3 cup of each tonight, but you can double it, triple it, or even quadruple it because as soon as it's gone, you will want more. Tomorrow I am buying a clear squeeze bottle just to house my new caramel.

Place in a squeeze bottle on your counter for easy access...or in the back of your cupboard because it will be gone in one day if left in sight.

Pros:
  • Vegan 
  • Gluten-Free
  • Processed Sugar Free
  • No Corn Syrup 
  • No Cream
  • Low Glycemic Index
  • Versatile
    • Can be: soy-free and nut-free
    • Can be made into solid caramel candies
    • Can be used in cookies, pies, cakes
Cons
  • When you run out you want more
  • Addicting 
Edit: If you want your caramel pliable and like candy, use less soy milk and cook longer until thick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment