Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Vitamix Spinach Dip

I don't remember the last time I had spinach dip. I've been lactose intolerant since 15, so I haven't had anything remotely creamy and delicious as this. Every holiday dinner there is this big bread bowl with spinach dip and I always have to pass. Not anymore! I've got my own vegan version with yummy garlic and rosemary bread to boot. This makes me happy. :)




This is the first recipe I have made from the Vitamix cookbook. All the other things that have been through it so far, I've churned straight out of my memory or imagination. I've never really been a fan of cooked spinach. The look and sour taste always got to me as a kid, so I have eaten it fresh or juiced since. Today I traveled back to that childhood dinner where I would play with the green goop and made it yummy. It was simple and a quick route to an appetizer before dinner tonight.

What You Need
16 oz (1 bag) frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1/2 cup light mayonaise
3/4 cup Tofutti sour cream
1 slice lemon, seeded and peeled
2 cloves garlic, peeled
Dash of salt and pepper
Makes about 2 cups

What You Do 

  • Preheat oven to 350*
  • Thaw your spinach on the counter or in the microwave on defrost for 5 minutes. 
  • Drain in a strainer, pushing down with a paper towel to get all the excess liquid out. 
  • Place all ingredients in the Vitamix and turn to variable 1 for 15 seconds.
  • Turn to variable 4 and use tamper to mix everything together. 
  • After all is mixed and creamy, about 3 minutes, take out and pour into a baking dish. 
  • Cook for 25 minutes. 
Enjoy with garlic or rosemary bread. I used a sourdough roll from Trader Joe's.

  • Butter all bread slices with Earth Balance. 
  • Top with garlic pepper and paprika for garlic bread. 
  • Top with rosemary and paprika for rosemary bread. 
Use your favorite spices and get creative.
Suggestions: oregano, dill, basil


What is your favorite appetizer during the holidays?

No comments:

Post a Comment