Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Leftover Soaked Cashews










I had 1 cup and 3 tablespoons left of soaked, ground cashews and had no idea what to do with it. I already made pies, cheeses, and sauces and still had this much leftover. I was lacking the normal ingredients for an entire pie so I did what I do best: improvised!

With my leftover graham cracker crumbs I made 3 tiny ramekin crusts. The fourth pie you see here on the bottom doesn't have a crust at all. It looks like a pumpkin souffle! (But of course is still the same fillling as all the others.)  And the last bit of filling I had, I didn't have a ramekin left to put it in. So I made my own crust for the first time and was very lucky it turned out delicious! 

I used earth balance, coconut oil, all purpose flour, and maple syrup. I know from reading recipes that everything must be ice cold, so after scooping my butter and oil, I stuck it in the mixing bowl in the freezer. I guess this is the trick to a delicious crust! It came out with the coconut flavor, which I normally have in the topping. No coconut whip this time, but dang these are just as tasty! So if you've got leftover ingredients, don't be afraid to put them together and get creative. My pumpkin tart turned out amazing and Mr.Organnix and I ended up digging in and almost eating the whole thing! 

No crumbs? Make a flour crust. 
No ramekin? Make a flour crust. (I used a mini cookie sheet and turned up the sides of the crust to hold the filling. 
Extra cashews? Make dessert healthy enough for breakfast. 
At 2am my creative cook comes out, and once again has exceeded my expectations to turn leftovers into breakfast...and dessert. Yum Yum! 



No comments:

Post a Comment