Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Miso Yummy

Classic Comfort. A warm bowl of soup on a cold wintery day always hits the spot. Or even on a sunny day, it still hits the spot. Miso soup is not only yummy, it is great for you. It's loaded with health benefits, low in calories, and can replace butter in certain recipes. I topped my brown rice with some miso paste the other day and was in heaven. It has this creamy feeling in your mouth like butter, but is low in fat and full of flavor.

I was craving miso soup the other week and bought a tub of mellow-yellow miso paste. (It's the flavor you get at most sushi places; AKA my favorite.) Ever since I bought it, I've had miso every day. My saying of late has been, "A bowl of miso a day keeps the doctor away." When you read the link of benefits I gave up above, you will agree.

Why Blog It?
I wanted to blog about miso soup because it is incredibly easy and quick to make, fills me up, and tastes delicious. I thought others could benefit by knowing it is amazing anytime of the day, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If you're trying to lose weight, definitely pick up a daily habit of a bowl of miso. Replace a meal with it to cut down total daily calories. Since it is soup (water) you will feel full and the miso paste satisfies your salty-fatty cravings.

Versatile
You can put anything you want into it! I put firm tofu because I like the bite, but most recipes call for soft/silken tofu. I put whatever veggies I have on hand in it, but keep it simple by only choosing one. Right now in my fridge, I have leftover miso soup of white onions, garbanzo beans, and firm tofu.
I like it with thinly sliced zucchini, green onions, and my soy nori sheets. I may spice it up with some  dried fenugreek or any other herb I'm in the mood for. Best of all recipes is just miso paste, nori, and green onions. Simple is always best.

Pair miso soup with brown rice, a half sandwich, or a side of steamed veggies. Yum!

Things I've Paired Up With Miso Soup
Daiya Cheese Pita- I used my George Foreman to heat a 90calorie pita up, put some cheese and avocado in the middle, sandwiched it in half, and closed the grill. Five minutes later I have a delicious sandwich to go with my soup. I dipped it in smoked chipotle hot sauce.

Brown Rice Pilaf- Simply steam some brown rice, add minced carrots and peas, and top with a teaspoon of miso.

Other Things To Try With Miso 
Miso Sandwich- Top toast, pita, or tortilla with miso and tahini. (Saw this on Whfoods.com) I'm trying this tomorrow!

Miso Dressing- Add miso, rice vinegar, olive oil, and spices to make a salad dressing.

Miso Dip- Combine with your favorite vegan cream cheese for a tasty cracker dip.





No comments:

Post a Comment